Thursday, September 15, 2016

Holden/Vauxhal/Opel Combo/Barina XC Van DRL

Having had my van for a few years now and with all the new cars coming out with Daylight Running Lights/LEDs (DRLs) I was curious to see if I could spruce up my van.

My first major concern was driving around I've seen many people attempt put them on their cars with bad affect which just look poor.

I knew the first and most important thing I had to understand was how car designer follow the design shape of the car as to what shape the lights are. If you fail to understand this step you have failed no matter what you do next.

The next step was to think of light colour otherwise know as kelvins 2,500k being the standard yellowy headlight colour and 4.500k being white and 6,000k being blueish.

After than was whether the LED spacing from each other. most i have seen the leds are too spaced out.

Actual wattage (or lumens if you prefer) most people fit cheaper strips with turnout to be low wattage.

I really good forum where people talk about this is https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/general-discussion/leds/44634-what-s-the-key-to-non-ricey-looking-drl-s-opinions-wanted

I am still in the planning stage. Using photoshop and this tutorial I found on youtube (https://youtu.be/0DCFdYheSAY) I created some mock designs of what my Holden Combo 2009 could look like and thought I would share them because there is nothing on google.

There are also some other things I have considered being that I will replace my standard H7 headlight globes from the yellowy 2,500k with whiter 4,500k colour to accompany the new DRLs, I will remove old parker globes (no need to double up), I will need to build a circuit so that when I indicate the DRL on that side turns off (majorly dangerous if you don't coz the indicator will be hard to see).

I think I like the shark fin looking one (top right pic). The Combo is not the nicest shaped car but I think this follows the shape well without shrinking the front of the car anymore than it already is for the size of it's arse (no thanks to the barina front end).

No comments:

Post a Comment