Sunday, November 6, 2016

Ebay Auto Light Rain Sensor Kit Guide VNX vehicle sensor

Manual: PDF 2.4MB  Google Drive
Version Discussed:  v5.0 (as seen on first page of user manual).
Youtube: I think this video is the same sensor as this mod.

If your like me and bought a Universal Car Automatic Windshield Light/Rain Sensor off ebay and have spent the last couple of days pulling your hair out, then let me walk you through some of the things I found out and overcome them.

1. You open the manual and get confused by different installation methods coz they contridict each other.
  • Completely ignore Installation (6) "Light sensor" layout because that is only for people who purchased a light sensor kit only this is the light & rain sensor kit so you need to follow those instructions even if you are only going to use just the light sensor or rain sensor part.
  • For the light setup side of things use the wires found on Installation (4) for the 8 pin plug and follow the schematic on Installation (5).
  • Do not use the red or black wire on the 8 pin plug, instead hookup the red and black wire from the 10 pin plug to give the box it's power and earth.
2. On the Installation (5) diagram the Orange wire goes to "Battle", this is a typo error they meant to say "Battery".

3. The White wire hooks up to the park switch, if you turn the park lights and the white wire receives a 12v signal it disables the auto light sensor until next key off and on.

4. The Grey wire feeds the blue and green wire it's power when. If you're like me and all your switches are 5V volts make sure you hook the grey wire up to to 5V and not 12V that way when the unit put power to the blue and green wires it feeds them 5V and not 12V.

5. The white wire can only operate on 12v it's doesn't work on 5v and if you do hook the white wire up to 5v the unit won't work. I used a relay with the 5v from the park light switch going to the coil side of the relay and then 12v on the switch side with white wire.

6. Despite on page 2 of the owners manual showing it, there is no light sensor adjustment either on the module circuit board or on the sensor itself. (I took some pictures of module board so you can look for yourself). The default setting for when the lights come on is actually quiet dark and I am usually always the last person on the road to turn on their lights. Looking on the manual the sensor should be on the front corner next to the plugs or at the back corner of the main unit, there is no solder areas on the circuit board even for this. At a guess, I'd say the unit has been upgraded but the manual hasn't and is for an older unit.

Here are some markings I noticed. The main unit says VNX or VHX vehicle sensor, the main unit circuit board has 20110331-2015 printed on it. The light sensor has 20130406 and KRAIN150308 or KRAIN150008 (solder joints intrupt the printing) printed on it.




18 comments:

  1. Hi many thanks fot this info, i have an issue but with rain sensor i have all connected well rechecked many times but for example sometimes goes crazy even with no water also when stop dont do it in correct position did you have this kind of issues? any help will be appreciated.

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a light refractometer eg it bounces light at an angle on the windscreen and have a receiver in the receiving angle like hitting a pool ball off the wall to a pocket, the rain drop interferes with the light. If it is going off for no reason first look at the light path. Did you accidently maybe fit it on the black part of the windscreen? It needs to be clean and clear. Is there tint on your windscreen?

      Delete
  2. Russel- Thank you for taking the time to post this information. I was just about to give up on this unit. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to say after this article work got busy and I still haven't got around to fitting it up properly to my 5v switches.

      Delete
  3. just fixed my installation was a bad car schematic manual

    regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi any idea where the wires need to be cut for the wiper motor and headlight, as its unclear from the diagram. Iam also unsure of what Positive or Negative On means ( oe else how do i check it ). All i know for sure is mine is -ve grounded ( ie the chassis is -ve). Any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. please help on installing rain sensor wires

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, it controls both lights(headlights and park lights)? My unit automatically switch only park lights. Headlights switched on only manually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you definitely wired it wrong. Recheck your wiring.

      Delete
  7. Dear All,

    I am gonna fit this to my KIA Cerato sport car, and please let me know the beast buy, and whether it is from EBAY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most electronics on ebay are old school electronics you need to be slightly dab hand at electronics to make them work properly. This unit does NOT have a light sensor adjustment and ALL the cars on the road have their lights on well before me. I've not got around to testing the auto wiper. If your after auto lights which are GOOD I recommend you look for a sensor on ebay that has adjustment for light. I have seen them on ebay for around $5USD delivered.

      Delete
  8. Wow google never told me there was any comments and I just forgot about this post. Good see it's helping some people. I've subscribed to this post now so I should get notified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. where does the grey and white wires connect to on the car exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi everyone. My name is Javi and I live in Barcelona. Sorry for my mistakes in english.


    I've been also fighting against this f****** b**** of a manual.

    First I received an defective/or used device, with no transparent&black sticker nor cable guide, like in this picture:

    http://es.tinypic.com/r/seouwp/9

    Fortunately, the seller from eBay kindly refunded me and I bought another one, a bit different, complete even with brightness sensor regulation. You can see the box is black instead of white and the wires disposition also different.

    As you said, black and red cables must be taken from 10 pin connector. In fact, my second unit didn't have them on the light sensor connector. Then grey wire from switched +12V (or in fact, straight from +12V battery) and green cable to Headlamps. I haven't used other autolamps function.


    Then the wiper... at this moment, I just connected the intermitent wiper function. I have an Smart Frotwo 451 (2nd generation) and it has som canbus or similar. The thing is you just can't put 12V in any of the wires or you'll probably fry the electronics of the car. What I did was interrupting the cables that make the auto-speed wiper work. In fact that's how they do when you have OEM rain sensor in Smart.

    Then I put together White, Yellow and Green wires and attach to one of the car wires, and Grey wire to the other. Then, no matter big or small rain, one of three relays sitches both car wires and then the wipers are on.

    For now, I think this is quite useful. In this mode, they work everey 10 seconds when the car is stopped. As you dirve faster, they go also more often, around every 2 seconds at highway speed...so this is suitable for most rain level. Where I live the weater is not that bad. If there's a huge storm, then I have to select continuous low or high mode by myself.

    For some reason I don't understand, I had to attach the brown wire to +12V (same as red, so car key switched positive) or it does not work at all (wipers).

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi,

    Was there an update on the the sensitivity of the sensor. you mentioned on your post that it will tur on when dark.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi. I was thinking to buy it but i won't buy it after read your comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, can you explain more on how to wiring from wiper switch for rain sensor

    ReplyDelete